Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Allen Theatre: Yogi Bear/Flintstones/Banana Splits

 A most unusual attraction, Yogi Bear, the Flintstones, and the Banana Splits live on stage, for a week in the spring of 1972. These did not go over well, doubt if there was more than 100 at any of the shows, and a lot fewer than that at most.

Victor Villimas and I went into every store on Euclid Avenue from Playhouse Square to Public Square and back, Wednesday afternoon, March 29th, asking to put up posters. He was dressed like Yogi Bear, half the stores we went into sold, dresses, pantyhose, lingerie, etc., and the girls inside would squeal, "ooh Yogi Bear!" and run over and hug him. Some would look at me and say, "who you supposed to be? Boo Boo?" I was just a 15-year-old kid along for the ride, handing out these flyers. 
From the Cleveland Press, April 1, 1972. I'm pretty sure Victor Villimas is in the Yogi Bear suit.
From The Plain Dealer, April 4, 1972.
Snip from Halle Bros. ad, The Plain Dealer, April 6, 1972.

After the last performance on Sunday, April 9, one of the cast members broke the cold-water pipe in the shower on the second floor of the dressing rooms, causing a small flood. This was also the week I learned how to sell tickets and balance the BO. I also assisted Ray in changing the marquee that Monday afternoon, prior to the Sally Rand performances. A month or so later, I was doing them by myself. This was a job usually done by IATSE 27, but for some reason they got paid to change the sign, but I don't remember them ever doing so. Usually Smitty handles the chore, but by May I was usually the one dragging out the big ladder myself. I did the changes until early spring,1973.

No comments: