Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cleveland: Playhouse Square


At the Allen the week of Monday April 3 through Sunday April 9, 1972 (at various times each day) was the Yogi Bear, The Flintstones and the Banana Splits show. This was put on by some theatre group from Parma. This was a real disaster. The shows consisted of people in costumes of the famous TV characters, miming along to a taped show. Not too many people came to this fiasco. The lowlight came that Saturday, April 8, when the cast trashed one of the dressing rooms and broke a water pipe in a second floor shower room. The week before this, Victor Villiamis, dressed in a Yogi Bear costume, and I went to every store on Euclid Avenue, from Playhouse Square to Public Square, asking store clerks to put our posters in their window. I found out a guy in a Yogi Bear costume, is a babe magnet. The guy that’s with him, in no costume, is a bozo. Almost everyone would say to me, “who are you supposed to be? Boo Boo?” This wasn’t the most pleasant experience for me, especially since I saw a few kids I went to school with along the way. On the other hand, not a lot of people can boast of seeing The Banana Splits in concert!

No comments: