Friday, September 16, 2011

Cleveland: Hippodrome Theatre


This photo by Robert Runyan shows the main Euclid Avenue entrance on November 28, 1952.

The Hipp, as it was known, opened on December 30, 1907 as a vaudeville house, at 720 Euclid Avenue. It had a massive stage, with six floors of dressing rooms on each side. Originally it seated over 4,000, on twin balcony's, making it the second largest theatre in the U.S. For most of it's existence it ran films continuously from about 11 AM til closing, usually around 11PM. The theatre also had a second entrance on Prospect Avenue. It was the last of Cleveland's first run houses when it closed in the spring of 1980, to make way for a parking lot.

1 comment:

Anita said...

I loved this theater. My Mom and Dad took myself and my siblings to see Jerry Lewis as The Nutty Professor. I can't tell you how many times I marched up with all my friends to watch movies on Saturday's and Sundays. 105 was just the whole world then. If you were on 105 you had no need to go far. $1.00 got you in plus a hot dog and pop and a small pop corn. 7 cents was bus fare.