From The Plain Dealer, April 2, 1921.
From Exhibitors Herald - World, October 11, 1930.
From Motion Picture Daily, June 22, 1931.
From Motion Picture Herald, July 16, 1932.
From The Plain Dealer, July 21, 1933.
From Universal Weekly, February 10, 1934.
Giant birthday cake for Margaret Sullavan, from Motion Picture Herald, September 15, 1934.
From The Plain Dealer, September 23, 1943.
From Motion Picture Herald, November 18, 1944.
From Motion Picture Herald, December 23, 1944.
From Box Office, December 28, 1957.
However the owners of the Bulkley Building which houses the Allen began to lease the theatre for one-nighters.
From The Plain Dealer, April 24, 1972.
From The Plain Dealer Action Tab, May 4, 1973.
In the Fall of 1976 Millcap leased the lobby of the Allen to a group of restaurateurs which transformed the lobby into a restaurant known as The Old Allen.
The auditorium was transformed into the Laserium, the main floor seats were removed and a huge laser dome was built. A hallway was cut through the former managers office into the lobby of the Bulkley building for Laserium access.
Neither of these lasted very long, the Laserium closed in 1978, the Old Allen closed in early 1979. By late summer a new restaurant was opened in the Lobby, Yesterdays, which suffered the same problems as it's predecessor. Yesterdays closed in early 1983.
The Allen then began to seriously deteriorate. Millcap sold the Bulkley Building a few years later to a group headed by William West. West had plans to raze the Allen and replace it with a small shopping center. This was met with some opposition.
Flyer from the Save the Allen rally held on December 23, 1987.
Ray Shepardson returned to Cleveland for the rally, from The Plain Dealer, December 24, 1987.
The end result was the Allen was saved, and today is used by Cleveland State University and the Cleveland Playhouse. It is part of the Playhouse Square Entertainment complex.