Thursday, September 28, 2017

T Rex

45 years ago tonight at the Allen, Thursday, September 28, 1972, the theatre was about half filled, about 1,200 were there. A shame they never broke big in the U.S. They were one of the biggest groups in Britain at this time, T Rextacy they called it.I was walking around, and stopped in the mezzanine men's room. The window was open, and a pair of hands was coming through the window. I tossed my cigar out the window and I hear  'AAGGHH" and the hands went away. I then walked over and locked the window. Gate crashers were always a constant worry in those days. I guess $4.50 was too much for them to pay. The opening act, The Doobie Brothers were pretty lame, but T Rex rocked as usual. When they played Get It On at the end, Micky Finn was throwing handfuls of T Rex The Slider buttons into the crowd. There were hundreds of them scattered in the front rows of the auditorium, sure wished I had one now. After the show was over we found the front window of the box office was smashed, but there was no major damage inside, which was sometimes the case.
From The Plain Dealer Action Tab, September 8, 1972.

No comments: