Saturday, February 8, 2014

Philadelphia: Fox Theatre

The Fox Theatre at 1600 Market Street in downtown Philadelphia opened on November 26, 1923. The 2,400 seat theatre was designed by famed theatre architect Thomas Lamb. The Fox closed in March 1980. Shortly thereafter the fixtures were sold. I was part of a four man team sent from Columbus Ohio, in May 1980, to salvage the light fixtures, Jed Ellis and Todd Bemis were also part of the team. I especially remember hauling down the huge auditorium chandelier and dismantling it.
Mark Conti photo from Cinema Treasures.
Above, from Exhibitors Trade Review, December 15, 1923.
From Exhibitors Herald and Moving Picture World, January 5, 1924.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What became of the contents of the Fox Theater? I think I heard that the seats went to the Shubert several blocks away. What about the chandelier? Marble? Wow! I remember that they sold the contents off to the public. I was hoping to get a seat or two. I settled for a lighted Star Trek cardboard poster, the plastic ticket price signs from the box office, and a stack of tickets. LOL. I took my son to begin his internship at that same location, 1600 Market Street, last week. Little did I know that I would return to the same location 42 years later with my 20-year old.

Frank Dutton said...

All the light fixtures, big chandelier in the dome, lobby chandeliers, all wall sconces, etc went to Columbus Ohio in May 1980. Some were used in the RKO Palace there, some went to Loew's State in Louisville Ky.