Friday, November 9, 2012

Cleveland: Pick - Carter Hotel

The Pick - Carter Hotel at 1012 Prospect Avenue opened as the Hotel Winton in 1917. The 500 room hotel was later purchased by the Albert Pick hotel chain and renamed after Lorenzo Carter. The hotel had a $1 million renovation in 1969. A tragic fire in April 1971 killed 7 guests, after which the hotel closed. The hotel was later remodeled for low income housing and renamed the Carter Monor.
Ad from The Clevelander July 1970.

Fire story from the Milwaukee Journal April 14, 1971.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Brings back memories - was wondering what happened to the Pick-Carter. I was a kid when the fire happened and forgot about it.

Unknown said...

I was in the cast of Hair and if I hadn't been performing down the street at the Hanna Theatre I'd have been in the hotel. It was a very sobering night that I've never forgotten. I was in the rear of the building trying to find out what was happening and trying to get any news on our families inside the hotel when the firefighter in one of the photos brought out the bundle he's carrying and I knew immediately it was one of our children. My heart sunk into my shoes. Is there any information on how the fire started?
Thanks,
John Herzog